Thursday, January 04, 2007

Baby E - the noro entrelac scarf


Ingredients
- 3 skeins Noro Silk Garden (colourway 211 if you wanna be just like me). I used up just shy of three balls. I worked out I could cut out the boring grey bits of the end of the third ball and still have a long enough scarf. You can see the amount I didn't use in the pic at the end of this post.
- 4.5mm bamboo needles

Dimensions/ Specifications
5 inches/ 13cm wide; 66 inches/ 166 cm long
(X) = 5. That is, I each block was five stitches wide.

Template
I have chosen to write this pattern out with some flexibility, because when learning new techniques (like entrelac) I have difficulty separating what parts/ numbers of stitches are specific to the pattern, and what parts belong to the actual stitch pattern/ technique. So, this is intended for someone who might want to make their entrelac squares a different size, despite having never entrelac'ed before.

What remains constant is that this is three blocks wide. So for a scarf that is five blocks wide, cast on 3 x (X) stitches, etc.

Because of all that totally complex maths, you might like to copy this into Word and replace all the (X)es with the number you actually intend to use.

Set Up Triangles
Cast on 3 x (X) stitches.

P2, turn.
K2, turn.
P3, turn.
K3, turn.
Continue until you P (X). Do not turn.

Ignore what you've already made (a little funny curled up triangle) and repeat again:

P2, turn.
K2, turn.
Continue until you P (X). Do not turn.

P2, turn.
K2, turn.
Continue until you P(X). You've finished all the stitches on the left-hand needle, right? (If you cast on more than 3 x (X) you'll have to repeat the above instructions again/ more times).

Pass 1 - the one with the half-blocks.
K2, turn.
P2, turn.
K into the front and back of first stitch (Kfb), SSK, turn.
P3, turn.
Kfb, K1, SSK, turn.
P4, turn.
Continue until you Kfb; K (X - 2); SSK. Do not turn.

Pick up and knit (X) stitches from the side of the set-up triangle that is stretched between your needles right now.
*P(X), turn.
K (X - 1); SSK, turn.*
Repeat ** (X - 1) more times. You'll 'use up' a group of stitches (X number of stitches) that were on your left-hand needle. After the last knit row, do not turn.

Pick up and knit (X) stitches from the side of the set-up triangle that is stretched between your needles right now.
*P(X), turn.
K (X - 1); SSK, turn.*
Repeat ** (X - 1) more times. After the last knit row, do not turn.

You've used up all the stitches on the left-hand needle. Now, pick up and knit (X) stitches from the diagonal that is hanging down from your needle. Turn.
P2 together, P (X-2), turn.
K(x-1), turn.
P2 together, P(X-3), turn.
K(X-2), turn.
Continue until you P2tog and have no more stitches (in that little group). That remaining stitch will become part of the second pass.

The Second Pass - the one with the whole blocks.
You already have one stitch on the right-hand needle. Pick up and purl (X-2) stitches, turn.
*K(X), turn.
P(x-1), P2tog, turn.*
Repeat ** (X-1) more times.

Pick up and purl (X) stitches from the block stretched between your needles.
Repeat ** (X) times.

Pick up and purl (X) stitches from the block stretched between your needles.
Repeat ** (X) times.

Continue!
Do Pass 1 and Pass 2 over and over until your scarf is a nice scarfy length. Your last row before finishing must be a Pass 1.

Finishing.
You have one stitch on the right-hand needle. Pick up and purl (X-1) stitches, turn.
*K(X), turn.
P2tog, K(X-3), P2tog, turn.
K(X-1), turn.
P2tog, K(X-4), P2tog, turn.

Continue until you K2, turn.
P1, P2tog, turn.
K2, turn.
P3tog.*

Pick up and purl (X-1) stitches, turn. Repeat **; then pick up and purl (X-1) stitches again. Repeat **.

Cast off the one remaining stitch on the needle.




9 comments:

Michelle said...

thanks lupinbunny.
gorgeous scarf...I love love love Noro.
Michelle

Emma said...

I saw your scarf on Craftster - I really like how the entrelac shows off the noro. I think I'll have to try making one myself!

iwriteplays said...

Don't you just love this scarf? I'm really tempted to make one in silk garden now... (mine was kureyon)

By the way, did you block it? I'm worried that blocking the entrelac will make it not as bouncy. What do you think?

iwriteplays said...

Hi Lupin,

So I decided to block the entrelac baby blanket I was making. Here's the result:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/iwriteplays/352389034/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/iwriteplays/352389680/in/photostream/

It's still drying, so I'll let you know how it feels when I pull it up.

iwriteplays said...

Hi Lupin,

So I decided to block the entrelac baby blanket I was making. Here's the result:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/iwriteplays/352389034/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/iwriteplays/352389680/in/photostream/

It's still drying, so I'll let you know how it feels when I pull it up.

Annie said...

That is gorgeous! I love the colors!

Ceylan said...

LOVE the scarf!! I'm currently working on one myself, it was just too beautiful to pass up! Knitty Knit Knit

Cat said...

Love your scarf, came across it on Ravelry, thought I'd say hi!

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!