Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Anastasia v2.0


Here they are. I love this pattern. I really do. I think it'll be my go-to pattern for socks. They're more interesting to look at and to knit than plain stocking stitch, they cope well with variegated yarn, they're simple enough to knit without looking, it's impossible to lose your place in the pattern. This pair is for mah mama for Christmas.

For reference, these were 64 stitches, on 2.25mm needles, short row toe and heel, and they fit wonderfully.

In the background you can see the natural coloured sock yarn, my beaverslide yarn, and Badly Coloured Boy's 'natural black' handspun. We've tentatively settled on making a stripeless Stripy. He wanted a v-neck, I did not (don't like the way they look, and while he has to wear the jumper, I have to look at it). I wanted cables, he did not. He wants the thing to be as plain as plain can be. I suggested Brooklyn Tweed's Cobbblestone. That was deemed okay 'except for the weird seams' - that'd be the garter stitch yoke. Stripy might work out okay because it's plain enough for him, but the mere presence of buttons is interesting enough for me; and the knit-to-fit style pattern will, as Ysolda herself suggests, work nicely with a mystery-gauge handspun. I'm thinking some pale tan mock-leather buttons would work with the dark warm brown. It genuinely is the colour of dark chocolate (bittersweet, to Americans, I think?) Oh, and contrast facings, just because I can (I think... I'll have to take a closer look at the pattern). I'll also have to check out how to make the neckline smaller - the apparently 'gaping' boatneck on the prototype concerned him a little.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooh...your socks are soooo pretty!! what yarn did you use?

ysolda said...

The neckline is much more crew neck and less boatneck on the one I'm working on now, but you can make it any size you like anyway. Contrast facings shouldn't be a problem :)

Linda said...

Lovely socks! thank you for your comment x

BEESTLYproducts said...

awesome sox!!!! and why have i never seen stripy before now???? i love it.

Anonymous said...

Awww, these socks look fantastic - the pattern as well as the beautiful yarn that you were using! Great job!

PJS said...

they're great, they came out really well. sounds like you've hit on a great pattern