Thursday, April 10, 2008

Uh-oh.

I was knitting a sock today at the train station, and I dropped the working needle. Against all odds, it slipped through these tiny little grate holes in the platform. I think my fellow commuters already find the powersuit-and-knitting combo a little strange, and I think then finding me shriek "Oh f**k! I just dropped a needle down that grate!" at 8am confirmed all dire suspicions. Badly Coloured Boy tried valiantly to remove the offending grate, but it was welded in place. Totally depressing. This is the second set of dpns I've gone through lately. BCB sat on the others and snapped one (different size, so no, I don't still have five usable needles).

I think it's a sign I should invest in some Harmony circular sock needles and learn magic loop, huh? I don't see no circs falling through a grate.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Oh no! That's terrible! I recently made the switch to magic loop from dpns, and let me say - it's magic. It's faster, and no needles get lost or broken. Good luck!

Clementine said...

Oh god, I would laugh except that karma would eat me.

Just switch to doing two socks at a time on one circ. Much easier! (yes, I'm serious.)

What size was the needle? I have a ton of bamboo dpns, I might be able to send another pair you can use as spares...

Anonymous said...

i've never knit socks with dpn but i can say magic loop is really easy, especially with 2 circular needles. u must try it out!!

BEESTLYproducts said...

that sux!
i effing love magic loop, for that reason alone.