Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The problem with Ravelry

is that there are just too many options - too many yarns, too many patterns, to many links to places to buy. It does my head in. I read somewhere that humans get confused and unable to make a choice if presented with more than X number of options. I can't remember what X was, but I'm pretty sure the choices on Ravelry > X (oh, yeah! Maths!)
This explains why you get overwhelmed when looking at 48 brands of olive oil in the supermarket, by the way.

Anyway, my dilemma is that I'm in terrible danger of developing a stash. Normally I buy yarn for one project as I near the end of another, and it is for a specific project I have in mind. But right now I want to buy yarn for Rogue, and the tangled yoke cardigan, and maybe an as-yet-undecided Ysolda pattern too... But I'm all confused as to how and when I will make these things. And when I tell myself to just pick one, well, I can't.

I like the idea of knitting something pretty and neat like the tangled yoke cardie, but then I'd probably get more wear out of Rogue, even thought I like to imagine I always dress prettily. But then, is it worth making Rogue in a handwash only yarn? It seems like the kind of jumper I'd want to be able to throw in the machine, so maybe should make the cardigan. And although I wear a lot of hoodies now, will I wear so many next year when I have to wear a suit five days a week? So maybe it should be the cardigan... but then that's still handwash... and so it goes in circles...

6 comments:

Michelle said...

someone has to make Ysolda's 'snow white' so I can see it in person. I want to see if it looks good on a person with ahem' a more rounded figure.
michelle

Clementine said...

Michelle, I'm making it... just as soon as I get the yarn... haha.

Clare, you may find you wear just as many hoodies because you will never, ever want to dress up to go out again, so you will start living in hobo slouchy clothes every minite you are not at work. Well, that was my experience. Yours may vary.

(and also, mine kind of resulted in me starting to wear hobo clothes to work and gradually getting more and more casual... soon I will start turning up in uggies and rag shirts, and they will demote me to a cleaner.)

Anonymous said...

I so know what you mean, I usually only buy yarn with a specific project in mind when I'm likely to need it, but I've found myself with yarn for 3 or 4 sweaters suddenly (and I'm trying to stop myself from buying more!) And wool sweaters? When summer's on it's way!

Good luck deciding on what to make! I say make whatever you think you would enjoy knitting the most. Personally, I like the Tangled Yoke Cardigan the best, it's gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

I should be able to join Ravelry by next week, just slightly over 600 ahead of me. I think I already spend too much time reading sewing blogs. My stash isn't big but then I have stashes for all of my hobbies.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on that! My queue has exploded because I had no idea about all these patterns out there and asll of a sudden I want to make them all!

BEESTLYproducts said...

lol @ olive oil drama! i say go with the tangled yoke, it's amazing.