Wednesday, May 30, 2007

I think I'm turning eco-friendly

(that's supposed to be sung to the tune of Turning Japanese).

I got my Lara Cameron Kawaii fabric yesterday. No pics yet, but it is a similar brown to the Kristen Doran. A little more sivery though. Yes, silvery brown. It exists, okay? My solution is to buy some more Echino fabric to lighten up the browns. In red ladybug and green dots.
There's been a lot of buying and not so much making round these parts, if you haven't noticed. I've got a week set aside in early June that will be a week free for me and Mathilda to get reacquainted. So I'm stocking up for then. I'm planning a Built By Wendy top, placemats, table runner, cushion cover, apron and maybe some pyjamas.

I've also been terribly distracted by the challenge of finding the most environmentally friendly shampoo in the world (that I could afford). The finalists were Lush shampoo bars, Natural Instincts and MooGoo. Lush is packaging free, but isn't organic and ontains sodium laureth sulphate (I was also trying to skip the SLS, to see if it makes my scalp happier). MooGoo is oragnic, SLS-free and locally produced (thus saving on transport pollution), but is packaged in plastic and has animal-derived ingredients (resource intensive). Natural Instincts is vegetarian, organic and SLS-free, but comes in plastic. I went as far as buying some Natural Instincts and oo! it gives a lovely wash, but then I heard rumour that part of their proceeds go to a Christian charity. Until I can make sure that it isn't a proselytising charity I won't be rebuying the stuff.
See how difficult this ethical consumption caper is?

On the subject, Ecoyarns are now stocking organic cotton jersey. Looks like they've sold out of plain cotton, and I must admit the stuff is still very pricy (compared to the price difference between regular and organic cotton yarn). But it's a start. Hopefully it'll become more common.

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

To add to the mix and make it even harder to purchase anything, you also probably want to stay away from parabens (usually a suffix, like ethylmethylpropyl paraben...) They do something crazy to hormones. In the US I use Nature's Gate, but you have to find the special paraben-free line. There's also BWC (Beauty Without Cruelty). They're good too. Good luck on the quest for good-for-you-and-the-earth products!

Anonymous said...

oh goodness! I use Natural Instincts.. I didn't know about the Christian thing, please let me know? I was really surprised that Lush use SLS, I emailed them about it but they didn't seem happy to talk.. :-) What about Body Shop?

lupinbunny said...

Body Shop were sold to L'Oreal last year. A very large company that tests on animals. And I think their products still contain SLS?

sheena said...

it's too bad that the Body Shop sold... its beginning were so good and anti-cruelty! I guess you could go with a good old fashioned bar of Dr. Bronner's soap, good for everything it says- it doesn't have any bad stuff in it, does it? And you can buy it in bar form with minimal packaging. However, who knows if it actually is good for everything...

BEESTLYproducts said...

yeah. i used to work for the body shop. it was such a bummer when they sold l'oreal. SLS or not, I'm Karma Komba Shampoo Bar's(from lush) biggest fan.

Bex said...

Try Avalon organics, SLS and paraben free...

Lara said...

Heya! Thanks for the fabric mention! And also thanks for your comment on my blog re Japan - that marirob series of posts looks awesome!! I will definately read them all.

I will try and find a copy of Number9Dream too. Funny, a friend of mine started a cafe with that name so it must be a good book!