Wednesday, April 04, 2007

i have a nakey cushion on my couch/ rambling about pottery


isn't it hilarious? it looks like a paint-by-number with an area left out. however, 'hilarious' is not really the look i'm going for overall. i've been pondering cushion covers for a bit, knit and sewn. i remembered liking some mitred square rugs i'd seen floating about, but a google search threw up an old favourite i'd forgotton about.


excuse the tragic photo quality - blame Interweave, not me. for that's where the pattern's from.
a block of three squares by three squares would fit my cushion insert perfectly, plus use up some of this.


that's all my DK and aran oddballs and stash, with the exception of a single skein of black. i think i may have a colour theme going, huh? take especial note of the two rather garish handdyes, that i made myself.
also take especial note of that you can see of my couscous bowl. i bought that bowl in morocco, and because of its fragile nature i carried on my lap in a bus across the desert for ten days, then took it as hand luggage on two international flights. if my house were burning down, the couscous bowl would be one of the first things i grabbed. i love it to pieces. it cost what felt like alot to my student self (some $70 Australian... about 420 dirham, I guess), but i haven't seen such vibrant, detailed, accurate handpainting on porcelain since, for any price. and the place i bought it from had piles of these bowls, from the ground to knee height, maybe ten or twenty piles, and i never found two with the same design. honestly.
i think maryam could make a bomb exporting the higher quality pottery pieces to fancy homewares store.

oh look, indulge me. here's a picture of the factory (factory? crafthouse? i'm not sure what to call it) where my bowl came from.


these are the unfired pieces. I think the purple goes blue when fired. I can't remember what colour black goes. maybe it stays black. the yellow stays yellow.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE, love those colours (and the afghan!) And also love the mitered squares, can't wait to see what you come up with.

Mum recently did a mitered squares thang too...
http://randomapplique.blogspot.com/2007/02/another-cushion.html

(Ps. Frack, I LOVE Lizard Ridge on Knitty!)

Anonymous said...

Oh damn, don't think that link worked, anyway, it's under Knitting & Crochet on her blog.

Anonymous said...

ALSO, love that you carried the bowl that whole way!

Going now...

Dy said...

Hi, thanks for your nice comment re my mitred square cushion. Re fitting it all together, I just made squares by casting on either 12, 24, 36 or 48 stitches, figuring that they should fit together by way of ratio. It was a bit of a jigsaw on my floor but it worked out. Did you look at the link to Melody Johnson's website and her cushions on my post? That's where I got the idea from - hers are divine! I found another post on her site re same if you're interested, here - http://fibermania.blogspot.com/2007
/01/straight-skinny-on-mitered-squa
res-my.html

Cheers, Dy

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

I am so glad you love your couscous bowl so much! It is beautiful. I am actually thinking about starting a very tiny store on line with a small, tightly edited collection of things organized around themes. Eeek. It's fun to think about:-)